6.22 Reasons to Run Newport 10,000 on May 14, 2016.
- It’s a local race with a big time crowd. With $15,000 of prize money, Newport 10,000 attracts a sizable field of regionally (and internationally) competitive runners. There’s even prize money five-deep for non-elites! With over 13,300 runners each year, Newport 10,000 is one of the largest 10K in the NYC metropolitan area.
- Not fast enough for the cash prizes? No prob! There’s always a huge raffle giveaway after the race. Because you need to be present to win and so many people prematurely leave, you actually have a great chance of walking away with a prize. Plus the post-race party is a ton of fun with live music, food, great weather, and so, so, so many happy runners eagerly gabbing about their races.
- May weather. Mid-May guarantees that it’s warm spring weather, so no more cold winter running. The last couple of years, there was a cold snap that ensured that spring was delayed, which meant that cherry blossoms could still be found on the branches of the trees that lined the streets of Jersey City. What’s lovelier than running under a bower of cherry blossoms?
- The majestic view of the Statue of Liberty from Liberty State Park. Seeing one of the symbols of America’s values is always inspiring. Just as you become weary from all the miles you ran, your spirits lift up from seeing Lady Liberty welcoming “the tired . . . yearning to breathe free.” It’s enough to light the fire underneath you run the last couple of miles strong to the finish line.
- You’ve read all of my old race recaps (2015, 2014, 2013)on the Newport 10K and now you must do it yourself!
- There’s no reason not to. The start and finish line are right by the PATH Newport Station. Not a public transit person? That’s okay. There’s free parking at 561 Washington Blvd for runners who show their bibs..22 I’m hosting a giveaway, so you might win a free entry! I was contacted to be one of the official bloggers, which I’ve done for the last few races, but I unfortunately had to decline this time around because we’ll be out of town for Ben’s marathon. My loss is your gain!
Enter this rafflecopter giveaway. It’ll end midnight of March 1st and a winner will be randomly drawn and announced on March 2nd.
13th Annual Newport 10K Race
Saturday, May 14th at 8:30 am
Newport Town Square, Jersey City, NJ
Registration fee: $30
Awesome, looks like a great race!!
Super fun, thanks for the opportunity to win! Not sure I would travel to JC otherwise but if I were to win it would be an awesome excuse to!
What?? That is awesome! If it wasn’t a Betty weekend for me, I would definitely be up for this!
This looks so fun. Wish I could do it but love that you are sharing a giveaway! Someone is going to be super lucky.
This is awesome!!! I am looking for a good 10K. But I also have some hopes of maybe going to Run for the Red since it’s not too far to cheer for friends (including you) so we’ll see!!! I’m also considering the half marathon that day at Run for the Red. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks for posting this, Lillian.
Tiny correction. The Newport 10k doesn’t go into the Liberty State Park, rather stays in JC proper. You were probably thinking of the Newport Half in September, which starts and ends similarly to the 10K, but goes into the park. I’ve been running both races for 10 years in a row, huge fan.
Thanks for the correction, Ilya!