- Because you can still compete for cash prizes even if you’re not an elite runner. The first place male and female (USATF-NJ member) in the open division will win $600 (plus if you’re super speedy, you’re still eligible for the other cash prizes).
- Flat, fast, PR-friendly course
- Beautiful views of Manhattan from the waterfront as you run to the finish line
- Newport 10K is the perfect distance and has the perfect timing to test yourself before a big spring half marathon, such as Brooklyn Half.
- Free beer at the end of the race
- Race entry fee is a reasonable $33 + fee (https://runsignup.com/Race/NJ/JerseyCity/Newport10K)
- You can win a free entry for next year’s Newport 10K by sharing your story of #WhyIRun and #Newport10K on Twitter, Instagram or Facebook before Saturday, May 2, 2015 at 11:59 PM. Winner will be notified on May 4th. Instagram @NewportNJRentals | Twitter @NewportNJ
- Great post-race atmosphere with a live band, generous and numerous raffle prizes, and nearby restaurants with patio seating – perfect for a post-race breakfast if the bagel wasn’t enough food.
- If you’re a Jersey resident, all your running friends are running this race.
- Run for a good cause. Proceeds will be donated to Jersey City Medical Center, which provides for women and infants, trauma and heart patients.
Newport 10K is on Saturday, May 2nd at 8:30 am in Newport, New Jersey. Right next to the Newport PATH station.
Disclosure: Free race entries were provided to me in return for spreading the word about the Newport 10K and to write about my experience in the race.