I was responsible for bringing breakfast to a work meeting on Friday. Whenever it’s my turn to bring breakfast, I like to bake a little something. I had several boxes of Jiffy Corn Muffin mixes because Target had a huge package of them on sale. I’m very fond of Jiffy Corn Muffin mix because I can whip up a batch of tasty corn muffins in under a half hour or easily make delicious corn pancakes. I’ve been making Pepper Jack with Scallions corn muffins as snacks lately. I decided to bake savory muffins to continue my delightful experimentation with corn muffin variations.
What I love about these corn muffin variations is that it’s so easy to customize the corn muffins to your taste preferences. You like Cheddar cheese instead of Pepper Jack? Go ahead and substitute. You hate cheese? Omit them. You want more spice? Add finely diced jalapenos.
These Breakfast Corn Muffins make a great breakfast/brunch. They were greatly enjoyed by my colleagues. I easily make a vegetarian version by omitting the sausage. Again, when you make your breakfast muffins, do whatever strikes your fancy. It’s a rather forgiving recipe.
Breakfast Corn Muffins (and variations)
For the corn muffin batter
1 Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix
1 large egg
1/3 cup of milk
Add-ins for your variations (choose your own culinary adventure)
2-4 oz of cheese (suggestions: Pepper Jack, Monterey Jack, Cheddar, Cheddar from Cabot Cheese)*
2 sausage links*
2 scrambled eggs (break up into small curds when adding to batter)*
1 finely diced small onion*
1 finely diced small bell pepper*
1-2 finely diced jalapenos
Chopped green chilis (drained)
Herbs (suggestions: thyme, rosemary)
3 finely sliced scallions
Directions (I’m giving directions for the breakfast corn muffin variation that I recently made)
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 F.
- Saute the finely diced onion and bell pepper in olive oil. Salt. I don’t like to cook the bell pepper all the way. I like the bell pepper to still have some bite to it.
- Scramble two eggs. Break up the scramble eggs into small curds.
- Take the sausage meat out of its casing. Brown the meat.
- Make the corn muffin batter according to directions on box (Add milk and egg to the mix. Mix well.).
- Stir in the sauteed onions and bell pepper, scrambled egg, and sausage meat.
- Add in grated cheese. If you like it cheesy, add a lot. If you like it less cheesy, add less.
- Pour in the batter to each muffin cup. I fill it up to almost the edge because the muffins don’t rise much while they’re baking. I use a muffin lining in each muffin cup for easy clean up and handling.
- Bake for 15-20 mins. (Prick a muffin with a toothpick. If it comes out clean, it’s fully baked.)
Makes 7-9 muffins