The sound of pounding feet running down Mt. Hood, the cheers from observers and teammates, and the roar of the Pacific Ocean welcoming the finishers at the beach in Seaside, Oregon beckon me to join Nuun’s 2013 Hood to Coast Team. Participating in Hood to Coast would be an epic adventure.
Why do I want to be a part of Nuun’s team for Hood to Coast?
- I want to be a part of a team and a community of people passionate about living a fulfilling life. Last year in August, I was new to blogging on WordPress and to reading blogs about running, fitness, and healthy living. I first heard Nuun and Hood to Coast when the women on the 2012 team began blogging about their Hood to Coast experience. I was envious of the camaraderie, the experience, and the joy they expressed in participating in HTC and in sharing it with the readers. Running is usually a solitary endeavor, but being a part of a relay team, running becomes a team sport. I know that I’ll ask myself to do more because I don’t want to let my teammates down. Joining Nuun’s HTC team is an opportunity to meet new people, to develop new friendships with people who also care deeply about fitness and challenging themselves, and to create new memories.
- I want a challenge. I love pushing myself mentally and physically to see what I am capable of. My limits are set by where I impose them upon myself. I want to participate in HTC to push those boundaries even farther.
- Strong is beautiful. Media is saturated with images and messages that beauty, especially beauty in women, should conform to a societal and cultural ideal. I want to send a message of beauty being portrayed through accomplishments and that there are many different interpretations of what is beautiful. What better way of conveying this message than through Nuun’s Hood to Coast team where women bloggers are celebrated for what they do, rather than what they look like.
- Racing + Travel = Awesome. I don’t like running all that much. Why do I run then? Because I love to race. I love the thrill of competition. I run because I know that training and preparation are the foundation to achieving goals. I also love to travel. I’ve been more more than 20 countries and 34 states. Combining these two loves equals a win.
I’m a master of sitting in a car for looooong stretches of time.
I traveled across the United States by car – twice.
Why does Nuun want me?
- I’m a scientist with training in cognitive neuroscience. I would love to talk more about the science of running and exercise with the general audience. Do you want to know about the effects of exercise on cognitive functions and general well-being? Does the type of running shoes matter? Why do all these scientific studies have confusing contradictory information? I can explain all this. I love teaching and speaking with people.
- I’ll have interesting stories about training while traveling in foreign countries. As I said before, I travel a lot. This summer I’ll be visiting Iceland and working in Russia for the month of July. Traveling = great disaster stories/learning experiences = fun for reader. You’ll read about stories about running past hot spring, geysers, and the Red Square (not in the same country).Here’s a short list of the different places where I ran because I was training.
- I am a team player. I do whatever I need to do to help my team.
- I am enthusiastic and fun. I throw myself into projects and experiences with gusto. I want to fully experience all of these moments in life.
I have a lot to contribute to Nuun’s 2013 Hood to Coast Team. I want to be a part of the adventure and journey that is Hood to Coast and to do it with an incredible team of committed people, passionate about what they do and what Nuun represents. I hope that I’ll be on Mt. Hood on August and if I am, I’ll be singing this theme song on top of my lungs.
My theme song for Nuun’s HTC Team (based on Laverne & Shirley‘s theme song)
Sclemeel, schlemazel, hasenfeffer incorporated.
Give us any rule, we’ll break it.
We’re gonna make our dreams come true.
Doin’ it Nuun’s way.
Straight ahead and on the road now.
We’re gonna make our dreams come true,
Doin’ it Nuun’s way.
Ever heard the word incredible.
Dehydration won’t stop us.
We’re gonna do it.
On Mt. Hood and we just run now,
We race down to the Pacific blue.
And we’ll do it with Nuun, yes with Nuun.
Make all our dreams come true,
Make all our dreams come true
For me and Nuun.