Chocolate + red wine = nirvana
I discovered chocolate red wine (yes, chocolate in red wine) a few months ago. I was offered a glass of luscious red wine with an intoxicating scent of dark chocolate. I was hooked after one sip. It was the right balance of chocolate notes and red wine. It’s an excellent dessert wine that’s not too sweet. There are a few different kinds of chocolate red wine, but Chocolate Shop Wine is my favorite. It looks like red wine and not like chocolate milk, like some other brands of chocolate wine. Chocolate Shop Wine is quite inexpensive as we got a bottle in Queens for $11.
Ben didn’t care for the wine (he prefers his chocolate and red wine separate), so I had to try to finish the wine by myself. I couldn’t, so I did what I always do with leftover wine. I froze it. Then two weeks later I decided to make cake it. It was delicious.
Rich, fragrant scent of chocolate and wine wafted up from this beautiful cake. It was light and moist and laced with red wine with each bit. Ben, who is not a dessert person, was a fan of this cake.
Chocolate Red Wine Cake
adapted from Red Wine Chocolate Cake from Smitten Kitchen
2 1/2 squares of bittersweet baking chocolate
6 tablespoons of unsalted butter at room temperature
3/4 cup of firmly packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup of white granulated sugar
1 extra large egg
3/4 cup of chocolate red wine (or any red wine)
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 cup of all-purpose flour
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon table salt
- Pre-heat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease and lightly flour a 9 inch cake pan.
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler.
- Cream the butter and sugar together.
- Mix the egg into the creamed butter mixture.
- Temper the melted chocolate into the mixture.
- Add the wine and vanilla extract to the wet mixture.
- Mix the flour, baking soda and salt together in a separate bowl.
- Add half of the flour mixture to wet mixture. Mix well.
- Add the other half of the flour mixture. Thoroughly incorporate the mixture together.
- Pour the batter into the cake pan.
- Bake for 25 minutes.